To contact us:
Phone: 520-885-5908, ask for Lori
Goals and Purpose of
St. Francis de Sales Youth Group
The goal of St. Francis de Sales Youth Group is to provide an opportunity for high-school students to build community, foster fellowship among their peers and experience spiritual growth in an atmosphere of acceptance, love and understanding.
The Group seeks to help students recognize their gifts and draw them into responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the Catholic Church. We hope they become our link of trust and service between the young and the old of the Parish.
Within this organization we have four specific program areas:
SERVICE: The call to the teens to share their talents with the young and old of the Parish by:
· H.O.P.: Helping Older People: a group of teens who are “on call” to help people with things such as yard work, plumbing, shopping, writing letters, washing windows, and anything else the elderly Parishioners need and may not be able to do themselves.
· The nursery: Almost every Sunday of the year the Youth Group provides a place for tots to go so parents can attend Mass.
· Over 60’s Dinners: Twice a year the Youth Group puts on a full dinner free of charge for anyone in the Parish who is over 60 years old. The purpose is to form a good relationship among the generations.
· Holiday parties: for the elementary school children at Halloween, Christmas and Easter. The Group also helps with special liturgies for these days.
· Sports Equipment: The Youth Group purchases and maintains such equipment, not only for the Youth Group but also for the members of the Parish to use.
· Other Yearly Projects: Youth Group members are here at church to help set up and take down the rooms for special functions. The Group assists the Craft Group, the Prayer Group and helps with any other special activities that may happen.
· The Group helps financially and with gifts for the Indian Missions at Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha Parish. They buy drinks for the Casa Maria Homeless Program. They help the St. Vincent de Paul Food Drive. The teens are available on the food collection Sundays to take the food and to maintain the food closet. They are a big part of decorating the church when needed. The Group provided an affordable and safe place for the Parish children to play during the summer.
SPIRITUAL: Members are required to participate in at least one and a half hours a week of Religion Class here at St. Francis. The Group sponsors a religious meeting each month that will help all the teens deal with the moral issues of today. This could include retreats, speakers, videos or tasks. Each one is involved in one ministry, for a commitment of one year, as Altar Server, EME, Lector/Commentator, Teacher, Usher, or Nursery Attendant.
SOCIAL: Dances, parties, games and competitive sports are an important part of any Youth Group, along with trips to baseball games and other special events.
PROGRAMS: This is a way of keeping in touch with their talents, career fields, community services and problems, colleges, and other topics of great interest.
St. Francis de Sales Youth Group is open to any teen who is being religiously educated here at the Parish and who is willing to keep the rules.
GOOD THINGS THAT AUTOMATICALLY BECOME THEIRS: Friends; working closely with priests, staff and advisors; retreats; outside activities (hayrides, bowling, movies); and use of the gym almost any time.
This Youth Group is almost totally self-supporting and the members work very hard to complete their yearly projects. The group had 62 members this past year.
The final GOAL is: If the members give of themselves to the above services and remain connected to the program there is a trip at the end of each year to strengthen the community they have built through the year. This is not guaranteed unless they earn it.
Goals and Purpose